Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Week 1 Readings

In my opinion, the most interesting aspect of the assigned readings for week 1 is the relationship between the subject matter of each article. The OCLC article "Content, Not Containers" provided me with written confirmation of the library and it's increasingly important role as the place that "establishes the authenticity and provenance of content" . I certainly agree that the methods by which we receive information (books, films, newspapers, etc.) has become consolidated due to the wealth of information that digital sources provide. I wholeheartedly believe that the internet and many of the "term" items in the article have kept text and the act of gathering information by reading alive. The section that discusses the rising sales of e-books was the one tht most convinced me. The OCLC article also demonstrates to me that the act of acquiring information via technologies such and the internet and blogging have not excluded other mediums. In fact, I think that this article completely validates the importance of new information technologies. The internet and it's features keep many different ways of receiving information alive by incorporating them together. Overall, this article made me feel secure about my career choice.
The article by Clifford Lynch seems to provide an explanation of why, in such an environment and time when information doubles at an incredible rate, that being educated in both the "how to" (practical) and "why" (theoretical) aspects of information technology is mre important than ever. This article made me think extensively about my own technological education. For the longest time, I have known about t basic applications of a computer, but have never had the faintest clue about how it works. I have always known how to save a file, but I never knew why clicking on the corner of a picture on my computer screen and selecting the word that describes the action I want can accomplish the "save" action. This article, when read accompanying "Content, Not Containers", informed me of the dangers I face as a consumer of information. In short, I need to increase my "Information Technology Literacy".
The article "Lied Library @ four years: technology never stands still" is equally interesting because it shows me an example of how the content of the previous two articles will directly impact my career in everyday situations. I've always realized that there is not "finish line" for technological development, but I was never so daunted about how often these changes take place. I can clearly see how all the aspects of running a library fac direct impact from new technology. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to see an example of how an academic library must constantly adapt in order to maintain it's important role. Overall these three articles serve as a perfectly valid intoduction to the problems I wil have to solve in the not-too-distant future.

3 comments:

Micquel said...

I completely agree with your point on needing to increase "Information Technology Literacy." Who would've thought that librarians would have to worry about being tech gurus... I currently work in an academic library supervising student workers...when I hire them and ask them why they want to work in the library... 9 times out of 10 I'll hear "because I love being around books." I'll admit that when I was little and wondering what I wanted to do with myself... I "loved being around books" and thought librarians sat around reading all day... HA! I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one that thinks I need to step up my tech knowledge!!!

Alison said...

Hi- I work in a small academic library as Circulation and Course Reserves head (I love working with the students!)and also see first hand what the articles say is going on. One thing that I think happens in a lot of libraries is the different views of many of the "old school" librarians vs. more tech savvy librarians. I'm not saying that you can't be both, but usually there is at least one person who holds onto the past and feels that "tech" is a very impersonal approach. Yes and no- I think that libraries have a responsiblity to their patrons to stay current and to offer the latest access to information, but I'm not sure what the cost is or will continue to be. Our students are so accustomed to "instant gratification" they seem to lack the patience or willingness to spend more than a few keystrokes to find the answer. I try to teach the basics, how to search for books, etc. as often as I can because I think it is important for students to learn how to things for themselves. While I think that the available tech options really are necessary and important for libraries to have, I think it is also important to teach librarians how to "teach" the tech options as one tool in research, not the only tool. Sorry to go deep on you, just on my mind as our students come back to campus. I enjoyed reading your comments!

Jenny Z. said...

I've always realized that there is no "finish line" for technological development, but I was never so daunted about how often these changes take place.

I think here, you touch on an important point in the info science field. Which is, as a society we are going through a period of rapid technological growth, so quickly that it is impossible to predict the outcomes of even a single year ahead. At the same time, it has become a real challenge to adapt at a pace consistent enough to keep up with
this technological shift. What I wonder is, what are we moving towards with this growth? Does this electronic expansion of human-generated information have an end point?

Or are we going to someday upload our brains into the Internet, which seems to have occurred already with the advent of World of Warcraft?