Thursday, October 2, 2008

Week 7 Reading Responses and Muddiest Point

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure.htm/printable

This document offers a pretty clear explanation of some material recently covered in class. What interests me the most is how inevitably connected an internet user is and the process of routing information sent from one computer to another. it would be especially interesting to find out how many different computers information travels through when I click on a link from ne of my most frequently visited websites (my favorite placs to go online). I would like a tool to cont how many places throgh which the information is directed before it reaches me. Overall, it seems as though there is no way to use the internet "off the gird" or without being tracked.

Dismantling Integrated Library Systems

Much like any system of information, it naturally follows that library resources tend to follow undr the same operational guidelines. ILS does, however, seem like a very controlling network. I agree with the article of this paper because I openly recognize the need for different informaton repositories to operate under their own organizational guidelines and not be confined by a seemingly oppresive model. In a way, a library sstem sems like a microcosm of the World Wide Web. "Dismantling" ILS, based on the evidence presented by the author, appears to be the most sensible form of constructing a new system unique to an institution.

Inside the Google Machine

I was first introduced to Google early in my career as an undergraduate. This video in particular holds my interests because I am now able to understand many of the processes behind the simple act of using a search term. It is no wnder to me that Google has become so valuable. Google has become the first place to turn to when seeking information. I can also see how the search engine itself, while requiring an enormous staff, also operats by itself in some ways. For this reason, to paraphrase Buckminster Fuller, I view seach engines as processes rather than as corporal objects and companies.


Muddiest Point

The most unclear aspect of class this week for me was the relationship between server and client. Although it is obvious to me what the role of each entails, I began to wonder about the extent of the role of each one. Not to sound like a luddite or, more appropriately, a "technological airhead", but I wonder if a server computer can become a client of the computer that was once its client. Can computers form a symbiotic relationship as users and clients of each other? I suppose server computers must not be frequently used for personal purposes. Overall, this idea was one that kept occurring to me after class.

3 comments:

April M, CCLS Children's Librarian said...

I am also curious about how many computers my requests go through before they get back to me. Wouldn't it be amazing to see the number of links in the daily use of a computer. It also makes me think about the power grid and the breakdown several years ago on the east coast. Would the computer network be as fragile if several areas were to go down at once, or would it continue as if nothing happened - everything rerouted?

Nicole Plana said...

When I watched the Google video and thought about how valuable they have made themselves, I immediately thought this is exactly what libraries should be doing! As you said, Google is one of the first places we go for everyday questions and information. Now if only libraries could make themselves as appealing to use. I don't think we've reached this goal yet.

Daqing said...

in general client/server structure, the role of client and server are relative fixed. server often act as the party for providing information and services, whereas the client are always the party to use the services. however in Peer to Peer network, the role can be exchanged very easily